by William J. Stewart
Happy mother’s day! Below, I’ve included several texts which speak about mothers, in no particular order. What I hope we will see is the exceptionally important role a mother has, and the honour God wants us to give to them.
Even while dying on the cross, Jesus was focused on His mother, wanting to be sure she was taken care of. Notice John 19:26-27, “When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, ‘Woman, behold your son!’ Then He said to the disciple, ‘Behold your mother!’ And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.” The well being of our mothers should be a great concern for us.
Paul acknowledged the influence Timothy’s grandmother Lois and mother Eunice had on his life, in particular his faith. 2 Timothy 1:5 reads, “…I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.” A mother focused on the spiritual success of her children is a great blessing.
God commands children to honour their parents, both father and mother. Ephesians 6:2-3, “‘Honor your father and mother,’ which is the first commandment with promise, ’that it may be well with you and your may live long on the earth.’” (cf. Deuteronomy 5:16).
Mothers are typically sentimental. They cherish the little moments of life that may sometimes escape the view of others. They have a stash of keepsakes, whether in a box or in their heart. Notice, “Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart” (Luke 2:19), and again, “His mother kept all these things in her heart” (Luke 2:51).
God extols the wisdom of mothers:
- “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and her tongue is a law of kindness. She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bred of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.” (Proverbs 31:26-28)
- “I would lead you and bring you into the house of my mother, she who used to instruct me” (Song of Solomon 8:2)
- “My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother” (Proverbs 1:8; cf. 6:20)
A mother’s love for her children is used to speak of God’s love for His people:
- “Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you.” (Isaiah 49:15)
- “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 66:13)
We should seek to please our mother. “Let your father and your mother be glad, and let her who bore you rejoice,” Proverbs 23:25.
Love and cherish your mom, because you only have one mother, and once she is gone, she is gone. “I paced about as though he were my friend or brother; I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother” (Psalm 35:14).